Last summer, I posted a recipe for “Quick Breakfast Casserole.” I love the flavors of sausage, egg and cheese combined into a casserole, but wondered if I could adapt the recipe to make a vegetarian version. I tried substituting black beans and more vegetable seasonings in place of the sausage. My husband loved it stating, “this tastes like a quiche.” He’s partially correct. And so I have named my one-bowl vegetarian–not vegan–adaption, “Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Quiche.”
I am trying to cut down on our use of meat and animal proteins. So I was excited to see that the breakfast casserole turned out well by eliminating the sausage. In this casserole, the flavors of all the vegetables blended with the eggs and cheese to make a light and tasty dish. A little Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, parsley flakes, green onions and a few drops of Tabasco Sauce spiced things up. I added a can of drained black beans in place of the sausage.
I baked the casserole in a deep dish 13″ ceramic pie pan. I had a little left over mix and baked in a small round casserole dish.
Making the Quiche
This is an easy recipe to prepare. To make the quiche, chop up the onions and colorful bell peppers. Saute until the onions are translucent and the peppers soften.
Blend up the eggs in a large bowl and then add everything else into the bowl, including the Bisquick mix, and stir to combine. Pour into an oiled very large and deep ceramic pie pan or round casserole dish. Very easy! (You could also use a rectangular baking dish.) Bake just until the eggs are set. The Bisquick makes a crust as the casserole bakes. This makes a good entree — or meal in one — for breakfast or brunch. Serve with fresh fruit — here are orange slices, blueberries and mint. Enjoy.
Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Quiche
- 2 Tbsp oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups chopped)
- 1/2 each colorful green, red and yellow bell peppers, chopped (2 cups chopped)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Bisquick mix
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 2 tsp Tony Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or 1 tsp seasoned salt)
- 4 drop Tabasco Sauce
- orange slices, fresh blueberries and mint for garnish (optional)
Method and Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use 1 Tbsp oil to oil a 13″ round deep dish pie pan plus a small casserole dish. Or use a 9″ x 13″ rectangular casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil to large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion and chopped colorful peppers. Saute, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until the onion is translucent and peppers are softened.
- Add eggs to large bowl and use wire whip to beat eggs.
- Add sauteed vegetables to eggs along with all the remaining ingredients. Stir with spoon to combine.
- Pour into round deep dish pie pan (or rectangular casserole dish) and any left over mix into a small casserole dish..
- Bake large casserole in oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until eggs are set. Bake small casserole for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut large quiche into 6 pieces. (Cut small casserole into 2 pieces.) Serve with fresh fruit such as orange slices, fresh blueberries and mint (optional).