It is Mother’s Day today. Here’s an easy and elegant cake for the occasion. The first batch of blueberries on the bushes in my backyard are ready for picking and I decided to bake an blueberry pound cake. This recipe is a simple dessert to make. Last summer my teenage grandson came for to visit; we had a baking session and baked this cake.
The cake is moist and simply delicious. The recipe uses a box of white cake mix, cream cheese and fresh blueberries. Bake in a spring form pan, drizzle on a glaze of lemon juice and powdered sugar and top with fresh blueberries. The lemon glaze seeps into the cake making it moist and tart.
To make the cake, I used a box of Pillsbury White Cake Mix. This mix has a distinctive almond flavor and blends well with the blueberries. The dense and rich flavor comes by adding a box of cream cheese. Beat the cream cheese first with an electric mixer until the cream cheese is softened. Then add in the box of cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Lastly, fold fresh blueberries into the batter by hand.
You can bake the cake in a either Bundt cake pan or a tube pan. I like the shape of a tube pan with removable bottom such as an Angel Food Cake tube pan. It is easy to remove the baked cake from the pan, well sort of easy. The cake is delicate; Let it cool at least 15 minutes first before removing it from the pan so it won’t crack and split. Use plenty of oil to grease the cake pan, too.
For the icing, I made a powdered sugar glaze. The glaze is not as rich as a typical cake icing; just the right mix of sweet/tartness to blend with the blueberries. The glaze is made with 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 -4 Tbsp lemon juice. Whisk together; adding a tablespoon of lemon juice at a time to get a thick pour-able glaze.
Spread the glaze over the cake and top with a few additional blueberries. These “pop” when you eat the cake giving a fruity flavor.
It is a delicious cake.
Luscious Blueberry Pound Cake
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15.25 oz) box Pillsbury Moist Supreme White Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 Tbsp lemon juice
Method and Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil and flour bottom and sides of 10″ tube pan with removable bottom (such as an Angel Food Tube Pan).
- Wash, sort and drain fresh blueberries. Set 1/2 cup aside for decoration. Dust remaining 1-1/2 cup blueberries with flour. Set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese on medium until softened, scraping down sides.
- Blend in 3 eggs and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cake mix, oil and water. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer off. Fold in by hand in the 1-1/2 cups floured blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cake springs back and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes on wire rack. Then loosen sides, and invert cake onto cake platter, loosening and removing bottom of cake pan.
- To make glaze, place powdered sugar in small bowl. Pour in 1 Tbsp of lemon juice at a time beating with fork or wire whip. Add additional lemon juice, up to 4 Tbsp total, to obtain a smooth but thick pour-able glaze.
- Spread glaze over top of warm cake, letting some drizzle down the sides of cake.
- Garnish top of cake with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries.