We’ve been fixing breakfast burritos long before they appeared on the menus of fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s. And over the years, the burritos have evolved from scrambled eggs in a flour tortilla elaborate creations. They make a filling brunch on a special occasion such as Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.
We learned to make breakfast burritos from our California cousins long before Mexican food became popular. My sister-in-law simply scrambled eggs and rolled them in warmed and softened flour tortillas. I loved them. Over the years, we’ve learned that you can add all kinds of filling ingredients – akin to an omelet.
Now breakfast burritos are found on the menus of many restaurants including the all-familiar ones at McDonald’s. But sometimes it is nice to dine-in. It is easy to make a homemade burrito to taste with more substantial fillings. In the spring and early summer; we can go outside on our backyard patio under a canopy of trees. With a little breeze, it makes a relaxing breakfast away from a busy restaurant and crowd.
Making Breakfast Burritos
Once you start thinking of filling ingredients; it’s easy to get carried away. Onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, avocados, bacon or ham, cheese, salsa, sour cream are easy filling ingredients.
To make the burritos, I follow these general steps.
Assemble the filling ingredients. Chop and saute yellow onions and bell pepper; fry and crumble bacon. Get everything lined up; these burritos are made to order.
Scramble eggs or make omelets. For the eggs, I whisk together eggs along with milk, a pinch of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or just a little salt (optional) and pepper. You can also omit the Creole seasoning from the eggs and sprinkle it on the burrito after everything is loaded on.Either scramble the eggs in one batch in a large skillet (use a non-stick skillet with a little margarine) or make more elaborate burritos with individual omelets. For this version, melt just a little margarine in a 6″ non-stick skillet on low heat. Add about 1/4 of the eggs.
Cover and steam until the eggs are set. No need to flip them. Then slide onto the softened burrito.
Soften the burritos. I place the flour tortillas — either 8″ tortillas or even larger ones — on a microwavable plate and cover loosely with wax paper. Heat about 4 tortillas at a time for 15 – 20 seconds to soften the tortillas so they will be easier to roll up. Of course, the time needed to soften the tortillas varies on the size and number. Then add fillings — eggs, bacon, sauteed onions.
Top with cheese and heat in microwave oven for another 15 – 30 seconds to melt the cheese.Fold in the ends of the filled tortilla and roll up.I topped this one with sour cream and jalapeno peppers. One large breakfast burrito per person is plenty.
Homemade Breakfast Burritos
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (2 Tbsp per per burrito)
- sour cream
- jalapenos, sliced
Ingredients for scrambled eggs
- 4 flour tortillas (8″ tortillas or larger ones)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp Tony’s Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (optional) OR
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp margarine, approximately
Instructions and Method
- For filling ingredients, fry bacon in small non-stick skillet over medium high heat. When done, remove from heat. When cool, crumble and set aside. Pour off grease and wipe skillet.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Over medium heat, saute for about 5 minutes until translucent. Remove and set aside.
- Slice green onion, mash avocado and set all filling ingredients on counter to add to burritos.
- For scrambled eggs, add eggs and milk to medium bowl. Whisk until eggs are beaten and combined with milk. Add Tony’s Chachere’s Creole Seasoning to eggs OR add creole seasoning add to individual burritos after filling ingredients are added. A pinch of salt and black pepper can be added to the egg mix.
- If making scrambled eggs in one large batch, melt a Tbsp margarine in large non-stick skillet over low heat. Add eggs, and cook; turn eggs occasionally.
- If making individual egg omelets, add 1 tsp margarine to small 6″ skillet over low heat and melt. Add about 1/4 egg mix to skillet. When egg begins to cook, cover with lid and steam until set. Slide egg onto softened burrito. Continue with the rest of the eggs to make four burritos.
- To fill burritos, place the four flour tortillas on microwavable plate. Cover loosely with wax paper or parchment paper. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds to soften tortillas.
- Place one tortilla on another microwavable plate. Add 1/4 of the scrambled eggs to center of tortilla or add one egg omelet. Add fillings to taste, 1 crumbled piece bacon, and about 1 Tbsp of onions, bell pepper, a few slices of green onions and top with 2 Tbsp shredded cheese.
- Microwave each burrito for another 15 – 30 seconds to just melt cheese. Fold in ends of flour tortilla and roll.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and jalapeno peppers.
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast away from the crowds. And kids can help too, adding fillings to their own burrito. A treat for mom on Mother’s Day.